A Step-by-Step Guide for the Change of Season
As the warmth of summer turns to the chill of fall, it’s time to think about switching off your air conditioner. Shutting your system down correctly will help ensure that it works properly next summer. Here is how you can avoid unnecessary damage and costly repairs to your HVAC system.
- Set the thermostat to heat and adjust it to the desired temperature settings.
- Clean the outdoor unit, removing dead leaves, branches, bugs and dust on or around it. If you need to wash it, let it dry for a few hours before you cover it.
- Check your air filter to see if it needs to be replaced. A dirty filter will make your furnace or heat pump work harder. If the filter is too dirty it could cause the unit to stop working.
- Adjust your humidifier controller to winter settings. Some indoor air quality experts recommend keeping levels between 40-45% in the winter.
- Turn on your furnace to make sure it is ready to serve you during the cold temperatures. Adjust the temperature to get it to start. If you hear strange sounds or get a burning smell, turn it off immediately and call us. We will schedule a technician to take a look as soon as possible.
Get in the habit of scheduling your annual heating and cooling system tune- up in the spring. If you’ve not yet done so, call now to schedule before the real winter chill arrives.
You can count on Moyer to keep your home comfort systems running at peak efficiency in your home. Proper maintenance of your furnace will prevent sudden breakdowns and reduce your heating bills. Our experienced technicians have you covered, performing inspections, making expert adjustments and repairs with minimal disruption to your schedule.
If it is time to replace your HVAC, we’re here to answer your questions and help you select the right equipment for your lifestyle and budget. Give us a call at 215.799.2019 or fill out the form on this page.