As a pool and spa professional, I enjoy sharing with our customers about the importance of maintaining their pool covers for the safety, cleanliness, and longevity of their pools. Pool covers are worthwhile investments that serve various purposes, including keeping debris out, retaining heat, and preventing evaporation. A well-maintained pool cover can also reduce the workload of your pool equipment and save you money in the long run.
In this article, we will talk about all things pool cover maintenance, from proper installation to seasonal considerations.
Types of Pool Covers: A Brief Overview
There are several types of pool covers: safety covers, solar covers, winter covers, automatic covers, and mesh covers. Each type has unique features and maintenance requirements. You want to choose the one that best suits your needs.
Proper Installation and Removal
Taking the time for proper installation of your pool cover will make sure it works effectively and lasts as long as possible. The process starts by measuring your pool and selecting the appropriate cover size and type. During installation, make that the cover is tightly secured to prevent accidents and damage. When it’s time to remove your pool cover, make sure to safely clear it of any water and debris before folding and storing it to help prevent mold and mildew growth during storage.
Regular Maintenance and Cleaning
Taking the time to go through these steps will pay off in the long run.
- Inspecting for damage: Regularly check your pool cover for any signs of wear, such as tears, fraying, or stretched straps. Identifying damage early on can prevent more significant issues and prolong the life of your cover.
- Cleaning the cover: Use mild cleaning solutions and a soft brush to clean your pool cover. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the cover material. After cleaning, make sure the cover is completely dry to steer clear of developing mold and mildew.
- Repairing minor damage: Replace any worn or damaged hardware, such as straps or anchors, to ensure the cover remains secure. Small holes or tears can usually be patched using a repair kit designed for pool covers.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Company
Not sure you want to do all of this? Hiring a professional pool cover maintenance company offers several advantages:
- Expertise and experience: Professionals have the knowledge and tools necessary to best maintain and repair pool covers.
- Time and energy savings: A professional company can save you time and effort by handling all aspects of pool cover maintenance, allowing you to focus on other tasks like enjoying your pool.
- Regular maintenance on a consistent schedule: A professional company can set up a regular maintenance schedule so your cover stays in great condition.
- Repair and replacement services: If your pool cover is damaged beyond repair, a professional company can provide expert advice on replacement options and handle the installation process.
- Warranty compliance: Regular maintenance by a professional company can help you stay within the requirements of your pool cover’s warranty, since many manufacturers require proof of proper care.
- Preparing for winter: As the cold weather months approach, it’s essential to close your pool properly to protect it from the freezing temperatures and harsh weather conditions to come. You’ll want to choose a pool cover specifically designed to withstand the extremes of winter. Secure it tightly and don’t forget to add winter chemicals to the water to prevent algae growth and maintain water quality throughout the off-season.
- Snow and ice maintenance: Pool covers in snowy regions require extra care. After snowstorms, promptly remove the snow from your pool cover using a soft-bristled broom or a specialized snow removal tool. Avoid using sharp objects that could damage the cover. Prevent ice formation by using a pool cover pump to remove any standing water. Regularly inspect your pool cover for any signs of damage or wear after significant snowfall.
- Spring opening: When it’s time to open your pool for the warmer months, carefully remove and clean the winter cover. Inspect the cover for any damage that may have happened over the winter months and make any necessary repairs. Properly store the cover in a dry and cool location, making sure it’s clean and dry before storage. Then you can start the pool opening process, including balancing water chemistry and inspecting the pool equipment for any issues.
Pool Cover Safety
Protect your family and pets from accidents by following these guidelines to ensure a safe environment while using your pool:
- Proper cover tension: A pool cover should be tight and secure, with no sagging or gaps. Loose covers can create dangerous situations, so regularly check the tension and adjust as needed.
- Check anchors and straps regularly: Inspect the anchors, straps, and other hardware for signs of wear or damage on a regular basis. Replace any components that appear compromised to maintain a secure cover.
- Educate family members on pool cover safety: Make sure your family, especially the children, knows about the dangers of walking or playing on a pool cover. Set rules to prevent accidents and keep everyone safe around the pool area.
- Additional safety measures: Consider installing a pool fence, pool alarm, or safety net to provide extra layers of protection. These measures offer added peace of mind, especially for families with young children or pets.
Proper pool cover maintenance is essential for the safety, cleanliness, and longevity of your swimming pool. Remember to take extra care during snowy winters and prioritize safety measures to protect your family and pets. Do all this and you’ll enjoy a safe and clean pool environment for years to come.
Do you need help or have questions? Our Pool and Spa experts are happy to be of service. Call 215.799.2008 or use the form below to contact us.