If you own a pool, you already know how important it is to keep it clean and safe for your family and guests. One of the easiest ways to do that is by using a pool cover. But did you know that there are various pool cover accessories that increase the effectiveness of the cover, making pool maintenance even easier? Accessories like:
- Cover Reels
- Cover Pumps
- Winterization accessories
- Safety accessories
- Cover Cleaning
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of using these pool cover accessories and the different types available.
Cover Reels: Easy Handling and Prolongs Cover Lifespan
Just as you might imagine, a cover reel is a long reel stationed at one end of your pool deck with your pool cover spooled around it, making it easy to expand and retract your pool cover, saving you time and effort.
Cover reels are an essential accessory for any pool cover. They come in three types: manual, semi-automatic, and automatic.
- Manual cover reels require you to roll up the cover by hand.
- Semi-automatic cover reels use a motorized crank to roll up the cover partway, and then you continue rolling in the cover manually.
- Automatic cover reels are the most convenient option because they can be controlled with a remote and the cover will roll up on its own.
Another reason to use a cover reel is that it also helps to prolong the lifespan of your cover by preventing unnecessary wear and tear.
Cover Pumps: Prevents Water Accumulation and Prolongs Cover Lifespan
If you live in an area that experiences heavy rainfall or snow, you know how that can accumulate on top of your pool cover. To prolong the life of your pool cover, you need to invest in a cover pump. Without a cover pump, the weight of the water can sagging and damage your cover, leading to costly repairs or replacements.
A cover pump is a small device that removes water and snow build-up from the surface of your pool cover. It works well with a mesh or a solid pool cover. With a mesh cover, the cover pump will make sure the pool water stays at the right level. With a solid cover, the pump will remove the water accumulation collecting on top of the cover.
There are two types of cover pumps: manual and automatic. Manual cover pumps require you to turn them on and off manually, while automatic cover pumps will turn on and off automatically based on the amount of water on the cover. Both perform at the same level, it just depends on how involved you prefer to be in the process.
Winterizing Accessories: Protect Your Pool Equipment and Prevent Damage
When closing your pool for the winter, these winterizing accessories are a must. They help protect your pool cover and equipment from damage caused by extreme cold and freezing temperatures. Some of the most common winterizing accessories include air pillows, winterizing plugs, and antifreeze.
- Air pillows prevent water from accumulating on your cover by creating a gap between the cover and the water’s surface.
- Winterizing plugs seal off pool pipes to prevent water from freezing inside them.
- Antifreeze is added to the pool plumbing system to prevent the water from freezing and causing damage.
Using these items not only provides the protection your pool and cover need during the off-season, they help make opening your pool in spring or summer easier and faster.
Safety Accessories: Prevent Drowning Accidents and Meet Safety Regulations
Pool safety should always be your top priority as a pool owner. These safety accessories help you meet any safety regulations present in your community but most importantly, they prevent drowning accidents.
- Pool cover alarms are one of the most popular safety accessories and for good reason. A sensor is placed on the pool cover and the alarm sounds if it senses that the cover is being tampered with or removed. It also alerts you if someone is trying to access the pool unsupervised.
- Safety covers are another excellent preventive option. They are designed to support the weight of a child or adult who accidentally falls onto the cover, preventing them from drowning.
- Pool cover clips, safety straps and anchors can be used to help ensure that the pool cover remains in place.
Cover Cleaning Accessories: Prolongs Cover Lifespan and Ensures a Clean and Hygienic Pool Environment
The care you give your pool cover should match the care you give your pool while in use. Keeping it clean by washing and treating it at least once throughout the off-season will enhance the appearance and extend the use of your pool cover.
Cover cleaning accessories are necessary to help you maintain the cleanliness and hygiene of your pool cover. They help remove dirt, debris, and other contaminants that accumulate on your cover.
Cover cleaners and brushes are the most common cover cleaning accessories.
- Cover cleaners use a special formula to dissolve and remove dirt and stains.
- Cover brushes help loosen debris and make it easier to remove.
Making sure your pool cover is secure, safe and well-maintained not only protects you and your loved ones, it will help your pool opening go that much faster, extending your pool season.
If you still have questions or want to learn more about your pool cover options, call us at 215.799.2008.